Built at the time of Knyaz Aleksander Battenberg (Knyaz of Principality of Bulgaria in the period of June 26, 1879 – August 26, 1886) the imposing building of The Royal Stables is situated on an area of 8 decars on the corner of “Knyaz Alexander Dondukov” Blvd. and “Vasil Levski” Blvd.
King Ferdinand (Prince of Bulgaria from 7 July 1887 until 22 September 1908, and King of Bulgaria from 22 September 1908 to his abdication on October 3, 1918) was not an admirer of riding so he preferred carriages than riding. Specially created service was taking care of the horses – the maintenance of the saddles and the decoration of the horses for various occasions.
Latter the King become an admirer of cars. This passion was also shared by his sons, who subsequently increased the number of cars in the garage. Today it hard to imagine that behind the crumbling walls of the building there was once The Royal Stables and later stored the car park of King Ferdinand and his family. The garage has been performing the functions of а museum. It was possible to trace the history of the royal family’s cars from Liberation until 1944. After September 9, 1944, and with the arrival of Communist rule in the country, the end of the royal stables. The entire royal garage is state-owned. For a time the vehicles and all the other attributes that were housed in the Stables were transferred to the Bulgarian Cinematography. Until 1986 the building of The Royal Stables was a cultural monument and on the list of sheltered buildings. In 2018 a fire destroyed the roof of the building. Today all the cars and carriages are stored in the Museum of History in Sofia.