The Central Military Club is a multi-purpose monument of culture building in the centre of Sofia, Bulgaria. Built in 1895 based on designs by the czech architect Antonin Kolar, the bulgarian architect Nikola Lazarov who participated in the construction. It is one of the earliest monumental buildings erected after the re-establishment of the Bulgarian state after centuries of Ottoman government and an example of a post-liberation architecture.
Тhe lot and the funding was provided by the Sofia Officers’ Assembly. A stone from the battlefield at Slivnitsa from the Serbo-Bulgarian War (1885-1886) was laid in the foundations.
It consists of two wings and tree monumental towers, whose facades are entirely covered by rich plastic decoration: elegant terraces, elaborate columns, windows adorned by triangular frontons etc. – a rich Renaissance palette of Neo-Classic architectural elements. The building has three stories and features a coffeehouse, an art gallery, a number of refined halls varying in size, as well as an imposing concert hall with 450 seats.
The club houses also Central army library with over 120 000 volumes. Some of its former names are Officer’s club, Military club, Central house of the army, Central house of the people’s army.